Of the many names I’ve been called in my life – Uncle Fred has stuck with almost everyone! When I began dating my wife, she was divorced with 2 very young children. My teenage nieces often babysat the 2 little ones. My nieces called me Uncle Fred – the kids picked it up. Since then my wife’s 3 brothers and their wives have joined the group, along with their combined 11 children – and then their 33 grandchildren – and now their 9 great-grandchildren. My friends felt outnumbered, so they joined in. The kids still call me Uncle Fred – as well as DAD! – and so do their friends and in-laws. There’s little chance I’ll forget that name – but I thought I’d better write these stories down while I can still remember!

Friday, October 26, 2012

COLLEGE AND BEYOND...



While I was in high school, I decided maybe I would like to be an electrical engineer.  My guidance counselor told me to take German because all the best books for that were written in German – so I took a class in German – big mistake.  The teacher had such a strong German accent, I didn’t know if he was speaking English or German.  I dropped out after only 2 months. 

I then thought maybe Civil Engineering would be it.  I knew 2 guys who had graduated a year before me who were going to Manhattan College for Civil Engineering.  They said to go out of state for college.  They had to wear a jacket and tie to class and, since there were no girls attending Manhattan College, there was no social life.  Plus, since they lived at home, their parents expected them to get a night job to help pay for the school.  

I wanted to go to college with a buddy of mine.  I applied to 4 colleges and was accepted to all.  He only got into one, in West Virginia – so that’s where we went – another big mistake!  

When we got there, they wanted to know which of their 2 majors we would be choosing.  If we took liberal arts, we would have to take a language.  After my experience with German, and the fact that I was also terrible in English, we decided to take business.  One year of that college was enough for me.  My friend flunked out a few months later.  

I had another friend whose family lived in California.  They worked in the state’s largest lumber company and we were promised a job if we went West – bigger mistake.  We drove to California.  Somewhere in Missouri, the car engine let go.  We spent 2 days there having the engine rebuilt.  I had sold my car and now I spent most of the money having this car fixed. 

When we finally arrived in California, we stayed at his family’s house.  We went to the lumber company the next day.  At the interview, they asked what our draft status was. 
We were both 2S.  They told us that meant we were students and, if we didn’t go back to school full-time, we would be 1A.  They didn’t want to spend time and money training us and then have us get drafted.  

I went out every day looking for work.  I even took the test for the California Highway Patrol and I passed with flying colors.  At the interview, they told me they couldn’t hire me until I was 21 – I was just 20.  I said I would work cleaning bathrooms and locker rooms until I was 21.  They said they used to do that, but, since the recession was so bad in California, they had many more men taking the test.  They could pick and choose who they wanted.  From there, I went job-hunting all the way down to dishwasher.  I couldn’t get anything.  It seemed that since California was such a transient state, no one would hire anyone who wasn’t bonded – you couldn’t get bonded until you were 21.  I was still 20!
Unfortunately for my Grandmother, she passed away – fortunately for me, she left me a $250 war bond.  I ran right down to the bank and cashed the bond.  It wouldn’t have matured for another 8 years, but I got enough money to buy a plane ticket back to NY. 

HI MOM!  Your Prodigal Son is back.  I was home about a week and, one Sunday afternoon, my godfather showed up for dinner.  He lived in Pennsylvania and was a superintendent for John B. Kelly Brickwork Co. (owned by Grace Kelly’s father).  He was on his way to Connecticut to start a big contract building a State Mental Hospital.  He asked me what I was doing.  When I told him I was working in a supermarket at $1.11 an hour, he said if I came to work for him, he would pay me $2.65 an hour.  I was to be a Mason Tender.  I had no idea what that was, but I found out pretty quickly. 

In case you have an interest, a Mason Tender keeps the cement flowing into the mason’s cement pan, one pan per 2 masons.  A freight elevator could not be set up until the masons were up to the second floor.  My job was to fill a 5-gallon bucket with cement.  There was a rope coming from a pulley on the top of the first floor.  I would hook the rope onto the 5-gallon bucket and pull it up to the first floor where another mason tender emptied it and sent it back to me.  By lunch time, I could only pull up ½ a bucket of cement; by 4PM they were lucky to get one shovelful in the bucket.  I was so tired that first day, I had to use my hands to lift my leg so I could push the clutch down to drive my car – bad choice again!  

I worked almost a year at that job and, as the project was winding down, John Kelly, Jr. showed up to estimate how much time and material would be needed to finish the job.  My Uncle introduced me to Mr. Kelly (he looked just like his sister, Grace).  He offered to sponsor me to learn how to be a bricklayer.  My Uncle said, absolutely not!  He wanted me to go back to college and get a good job, not a back-breaking one.   

When they were up on the top floor, where we unloaded the cement and cinder blocks from the freight elevator, they found a 10’ high wall by 30 feet long.  This wall divided a very large room into 2 medium size rooms.  This wall had to be taken down.  They thought that the foreman had read the plans wrong and had the masons build the wall.  I don’t think my Uncle ever found out that I was teaching myself how to lay cement blocks and built that wall myself! 

One day he called me into his office and told me this job was ending.  He said he had talked to his brother (another Uncle) who was the Director of Personnel at Charles Pfizer Pharmaceutical Co.  He told me to apply for a job there.  It was a better job with good money and benefits and maybe a future for me.  My Uncle had worked there for 47 years.  So, off I went to Pfizer.  How long do you think I lasted??? Hey, at least I didn’t go home between jobs this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment